Prayoga or प्रयोग is a Sanskrit word which loosely translates as 'experiment'. This blog is my experiment in expression. I want to see what happens when I share thoughts that spring from moments of clarity. Perhaps nothing. Or perhaps something..

Monday, February 13, 2012

Seashells on the Internet



The internet is like a dry river bed littered with gold waiting to be found. But you have to know how to control it so that it readily gives up it's treasures. And I know how to do that. So for me, the internet has turned into a vast stretch of beach strewn with beautiful seashells. All I have to do is walk along the beach and pick up the ones that catch my eye. And I go walking every day. Today I found two mesmerising seashells.

1) A visual exploration of the scale of the universe, from the minutest 'planck length' unit to objects in astronomical units and beyond. It was beautifully illustrated with familiar objects and childishly witty commentary! I haven't completed my journey through it yet, but the hour spent on it thus far has been fascinating!

(sorry, this link may not work)
http://images.4channel.org/f/src/589217_scale_of_universe_enhanced.swf

2) The complete collection of every world press photo winner up-to 2011.
http://www.archive.worldpressphoto.org/years

This second one revealed some heartbreaking photos that will forever be etched in my memory. There were too many taken from wars. And a surprising few from droughts. The effect of seeing living human beings, especially children, so physically fragile and vulnerable is something words can't describe. It is the emptiness in their eyes that haunts you. I've never met anyone in that state, but the image is sad enough.

It has renewed my resolve to never waste food. There maybe a surplus around me, and others may waste without thought but at least I will not be accomplice to it. At least I will only take my share, enough to nourish my body, nothing more.

But sometimes, it is difficult to come to terms with this excess surrounding us. I happened upon an episode of master chef on the BBC. It reminded me of how obsessed we are with good food in the rich world, and how much 'edible' food goes waste in the process of feeding that obsession. I realise I have to reconcile this stark reality somehow, but right now, the answers elude me.

No comments:

Post a Comment