Prayoga or प्रयोग is a Sanskrit word which loosely translates as 'experiment'. This blog is my experiment in expression. I want to see what happens when I share thoughts that spring from moments of clarity. Perhaps nothing. Or perhaps something..

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Freedom comes from within

I found this profound thought shared by Ela Bhatt from The Elders on Facebook.



Shes uses simple words to counter our conventional view on freedom. "You see, freedom is not given, it comes from within". It's what Gandhiji had been trying to say in his autobiography. I get it! I understand that we have to overcome the fears that enslave our minds, that battle has to be fought within first. And we all have it in us to win. That's the human capacity Ela refers to. I see now that Mandela was free inside the walls of his prison, for you can contain a body, but not a free spirit. And I also see how I, am not free.

I would sit inside my home and feel lucky that I could do whatever I pleased. I was free to do, say, and think as I wanted. Yes, while I am fortunate enough to live in a democracy and have the economic means and education to avail any opportunity... my spirit is not free. My fears keep me from standing tall. They keep me from seizing the infinite opportunities at my feet.

External freedom is hollow if you have not come through the fire and freed your inner self.

In the light of Ela's words, I have new perspective on Aung San Suu Kyi's release from house arrest in Burma. Ela is right, "it is not the leader who brings freedom, it is the people who bring freedom". And yet the world's attention, including my own, is centred on Suu Kyi right now as some sort of saviour. She can certainly inspire her people, but ultimately it is they who have to rise up "without any rancour towards their opressors" and break free.

No comments:

Post a Comment