
(I forgot my camera so the photo is from this great blog)
In Mumbai.. recovering from the one hour ride back from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT). The open autorickshaw offered no protection from the cloud of particulate matter enveloping us as we crawled our way out of the city's clogged streets. Recently read a new study on its harmful effects on asthma sufferers.. blast! I've forgotten my inhalers in London.
Need to see a doc about that.
But the injurous trip to and back from IIT was worth it - the first meeting between the journey orgainsers and the 40 chosen facilitators was energising! It's an eclectic bunch of pros, from painters to bio-scientists, grassroot entrepreneurs to arctic explorers, and industry veterans to ex-mckinsey consultants. Drawn to the journey for a whole spectrum of reasons from examining India's relationship with the environment to discovering their life's purpose. The common thread was a hunger to learn and contribute.
Loved their confidence and enthusiasm during intros.. but it seems most have yet to master the art of concision.
Worked out a role for myself in guiding Jagriti's communications effort.. fun chat with the production team. Lots of ideas on documenting the experience and sharing it online in real time... I'll link through when the content starts flowing!
Will leave you with a parable from the astute rickshaw-wala dude who dropped me off home. We were talking about different approaches to development, those of the enterprising Indians among the world's top 10 billionaires list and those like himself working hard to feed their families,
"There was a dark alley leading to a temple. A rich and famous guy fixed a lightbulb to brighten up God's house. A beggar outside found a candle to light the alleyway where many people passed. It ended the darkness. When both died and reached heaven's door, God gave the beggar first priority to his throne. When asked why, he said 'he helped many people see the way, you merely lit an empty room".
I think it was clear where he stood.
How is the journey going. I look forward to your next blog. I pray and wish that you get all that you wished and more out of this journey. I am sure that this experience will make your life richer and exciting and satisfied. Take care of yourself. You know that I always support and love you and very proud of you
ReplyDeleteI wish and pray for your good health. Definitely, you'll be getting some good, some bad, some worst experiences. But that is what life is all about and it is true wherever we may be.Not only in this part of your Parentland.Just remember the good and funny times during this journey. Enjoy.Best of Luck and take care.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes with the blog.
ReplyDelete